Henry Hill House.
A well-loved Halifax Landmark built in the 1840’s, the house had been remodeled over the years to accommodate offices, apartments, and a clinic. The renovation restored the grace and openness of the original design, including restoring the stone cellar and a central oculus/roof-light.
In addition, contemporary elements were woven in as counterpoint to the heritage fabric. A wall was removed and a new long stone island became a family area on the main floor. At the upper floor gallery the guarding is a continuous curved membrane of layers of diaphanous steel mesh which captures the light from the oculus, and presents a modern shimmering new core to the preserved anatomy of the original architecture.